Two hundred years ago, Nightmare Manor earned its name "Seth's Folly" on one tragic night. The ghosts of the people who lost their lives that night haunt the manor to this day.

Seth's Folly was constructed by Brice Thomas Beale Worthington around 1789. The manor was the principle house for the property that once spanned hundreds of acres. It has one-foot thick stone walls that were originally built to protect against Native Indians.

In the early 1800's, the discovery of slate in Ijamsville led to the creation of two local quarries. Seth Legget moved to Ijamsville to work as a manager in the slate quarries and purchased the manor from the Worthington family. He lived in the house for years with his wife Delia, seven children, and their servants.

At the quarry, Seth Legget developed a reputation for being unforgiving. Under his leadership, more slate was extracted and more fatalities occurred than at any other time in the quarry's history. Less is known about Seth's family life, but if local rumor is to be believed, he was temperamental and abusive to his family.

In 1824, a fire broke out in the middle of the night. When neighbors arrived at the manor, they found the house ablaze. Writhing by a noose in a tree beside the house was Seth Legget. Seth's family, and several servants were trapped in the inferno. No one was ever convicted for the crimes that night. The long list of suspects only served to complicate the case. Despite the fire the manor's thick stone walls survived.

The house was soon renovated with the original stone walls still intact. Seth's Folly has passed through many hands over the past two centuries, for no one has managed to live there for long. The whisper of voices, the creak of footsteps, and the occasional ghost sighting, has left Nightmare Manor condemned to vacancy.




© 2014 Nightmare Manor